UJJAIN: THE CITY OF TEMPLES



Recently I visited Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh, an ancient city situated on the bank of river Shipra, and then I came to know why it is called as the city of temples.

I arrived in this beautiful city early morning by train. My stoppage was in  a guest house named Duggad yatriki, near Mahakaleshwer  temple (one of the most prominent temples in Ujjain).After morning  routine, I first headed towards Mahakaleshwar temple on foot. In my way to the temple, I saw lots of people heading to the same temple in devotion. There were big and small shops, vendors were giving a basket of offerings containing stola’s of red colour, dry coconut, flowers, garlands, festoons and other worship materials.Police personnel’s were also present to maintain law and order in that hugely crowded place. I came to realize that people from all over India came there, and even there were a few foreign nationals. As soon as I reached near shops vendors surrounded me for buying worship materials, I did bought from one of them and went ahead for entering the temple.

Standing at Ramghat at the bank of Shipra river( River is getting  prepared for mahakumbh in  Ujjain)


To my surprise, there were two gates for getting the entry in the temple, one normal entry route for all the devotee and another one for pass holders (for one person charge was 151 Indian rupee). I was a bit startled to see the commercial route for entering the temple (Even at God’s house there is a shorter way if you have enough money it seems!!). After entering the temple I attended the morning aarti with umpteen others devotees chanting devotional song and clapping, it was a mesmerizing moment (somewhere down the heart I felt a positive energy). The best thing which I found about this temple was  that it has preserved its antiquity, I did not found much artificial construction there which contributed to the beauty of this everlasting temple(cameras were not allowed inside Mahakaleshwar temple)

After this I visited Harsidhhi temple, a priest said that there are two temples of Goddess Harsidhhi; one in Porbandar( fortunately I have visited that temple also) known as Harshad goddess temple and another one here in Ujjain.This  was also a unique temple to visit, also, all these temples have a story associated with them (regarding the importance and who made the temple) but I would not be able to explain every temple in detail to keep this article of readable length.

Standing in front of Harsidhhi Goddess temple
At Harsidhhi goddess temple I saw a very antique structure ( I noticed it at few other temples also) which is called as 'Deep stambh'. When I enquired about that then I came to know that people who want to fulfill their wishes kindle 'deep'(lamps) on this structure where large number of hand ankles make to hold 'deep.'

Deep stambh


My next stop was Mangalnath temple (en route there were many other temples also), I came to know that Manglik people come here for worship. Also, people who have inauspicious graha also come to worship here (according to astrological science).
Mangalnath and nav Grah temple


From Mangalnath temple I headed to see Siddvat, a banyan tree said to be planted by goddess Parvati (Wife of Lord Shiva ) thousands of years ago.


Siddhvat at the bank of Shipra river
Now, it was time for a very famous and astonishing temple known as 'Kal Bhairav' temple.The interesting fact about this temple was that 'sharab'(alcohol) is  a ritual offering to the deity of this temple. People bring alcohol of different brands and offer to the deity.First of all, I was very confused to learn this fact, but when I gave my offering to the priest, he served it to the statue of deity and miraculously statute swallowed alcohol!!

Standing in front of Kal Bhairav temple
Nobody knows where this alcohol goes, by the way, no visitor is allowed to offer the alcohol themselves and as per people around me said, nobody, to date have been able to solve this enigma. Hundred's of litres of alcohol from hundred's of the year has been offered but nobody knows what's  happens to the alcohol.


Kal Bhairav temple


There are many other temples apart from above mentioned ones.After visiting all these and viewing few others from outside, I was very happy with my experience and now it is clear to me why Ujjain is called City of temples!!

I hope you would have enjoyed :)

Do share and Comment  if you enjoyed.












Labels: , , , , , ,